Advancing youth gifted in mathematics
Enrichment program in mathematics:
Target population: 6th and 7th grade students that excel in mathematics.
The program is intended for students who are interested in studying exciting, stimulating subjects in mathematics, most of which are not included in the regular study program in schools; and also as preparation for the program for youth gifted in mathematics.
During the course of the enrichment program, the students are provided with tools that develop mathematical thought, and their knowledge is enriched in the following areas: problem solving; basics of combinatorial mathematics; numbers theory; geometric thought; presentation of famous mathematical problems; basics of groups theory; rules of mathematical logic; series; games theory; and more.
The studies are constructed in a gradual manner that changes from one level to the next in the degree of complexity of the subjects learned.
Studies, lasting 2 academic hours, are conducted once a week, in the afternoons.
Program for youth gifted in mathematics (a 3-year program):
Target population: 8th to 10th grade students that excel in mathematics.
The program has 3 main goals:
· Preparing students for the matriculation examination in mathematics at a level of 5 study units, at the end of the 10th grade. The study program includes topics in mathematical enrichment, as well as subjects required for academic studies in natural sciences and mathematics. These, of course, include material studied later on during the course of regular high-school studies, in preparation for the matriculation exams in mathematics at a level of 5 study units, according to the modular study program.
· Integrating 11th and 12th grade students into academic courses at
· The possibility of completing a full degree in mathematics at Bar-Ilan University within 3 years, starting at the 11th grade and ending one year after the 12th grade, while postponing military service by a year.
Studies are held once a week, with each session lasting 4 academic hours.
Several interesting statistics:
· The program began with one group at Bar-Ilan, and currently includes 130 groups at 20 locations:
· The program commenced with only 15 students; in the 2006/2007 academic year a total of 2,300 students are enrolled in it.
· Teaching in the program is led by 60 carefully selected, talented teachers, with emphasis placed on the level of teaching and its methodic quality.
The average matriculation exam grade of approximately 1,300 students, who are enrolled in the program and took the exams as 10th grade students during the past 5 years, is 98.